Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 6, 2008...August 6, 2010...

I have pondered now, for quite some time, on what I wanted to say today. I had wanted to be happy, not dwelling on the sad, the unhappy, though I cannot help but admit that with the events of the last month, I cannot help but be more heartbroken than I had expected to be, and shedding a few more tears for which I know Amit would most assuredly chastise me (I cannot help it...I am a cryer...happy, sad, angry...I have very well functioning tear ducts).

That being said, I will focus on that which makes me smile.

Allow me to share just a few of my memories and please feel free to share your own in the comments field.

He had a smile that lit up a room. You would see his face open up into that grin and he would say, hi sweety or hi honey...he also had a funny way of saying hola amigo...only I don't think he intended it to sound as funny as it sometimes did...(he wanted to learn Spanish).

I remember how he would leave the booth to come out and say hello to customers and friends...especially to the kids...he would also always make time at the beginning of the market to walk around and see everyone.

He loved food...loved it...and he had an amazing appetite. I once witnessed him order two meals....He ordered the first, finished it...and ordered a second as we stared in amazement...apparently he had not had a chance to eat much that day in the kitchen...

He loved his spice...there were meals we made in the kitchen that I would refuse to try...I might have been working there...but if I can smell the spicy heat coming off of the food...I am not letting it touch my lips...I am a wimp on the scoville scale compared to Amit...I once saw him eat something so spicy he was sweating, his nose was running, I think he may have even been crying a little, and even the lassi barely put that fire out...it looked like a painful experience and the one little taste I made the mistake of trying left my mouth burning for a half hour ...but he loved it...

I was in Tucson during most of 2008 so I never had a chance to talk to Amit about married life or becoming a father...but even so...I know that he was one of the happiest men a person would likely come across...he had married a woman who was not just his wife, but his friend, partner, and love...and fatherhood was something he had long been waiting for...I can only imagine the excitement and joy he must have experienced as he felt that first kick. His life was filled with joy and he knew he was a lucky and blessed man. I like to think of Amit as the attentive guardian angel, looking out for Deepika and Jevesh, always by their side.




I will post pictures of Jevesh as soon as I can...a tribute and celebration of a little piece of Amit that continues to bless our lives.

Amit was many things...son, uncle, brother, cousin, buddy, boss, husband, friend, and father. He was loved in all of those roles. Think of him this weekend. Think of all the things that bring a smile to your face. Cherish the wonderful memories that you hold in your heart.

So let me leave you with these last thoughts...Cherish the ones you love, the ones you care about...even the ones you just like, for you do not know what tomorrow may bring, and regrets are the heartaches that weigh heavy on your soul.

1 comment:

  1. You are unforgettable Amit!!

    I still hear your voice...calling my name out loud...your throaty laughter and your hugs.You are always in thoughts and will be..forever!MISS YOU A LOT!!

    love you brother

    ReplyDelete